SFM Cloth Dolls with Attitude! NZ

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Queen Victoria!

 It starts out looking like misshapen cloth!  You have no idea if it will work, but you keep going, just in case it will!  Sculpting and stuffing at the same time till the features look something like it!
Then, what to use for hair?  Her hair was flat and close to her head.  Why not use this mesh?  The colour is right.

Her Imperial Majesty, Queen Victoria.  Exaggerated.

But from the side..

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Another Makeover for March!

What fun I have had makeing over these dolls!

I had no idea what to do with them to make them work better than they were. 

Then someone gave me a bag of scraps - and inspiration flowed!  Steampunk them!  This one is wearing improbable clothing!  More like a collage!  Now she's an art Doll!

The originals were unsatisfying, in that their heads wobbled and thy were not very stable, so off went the heads and stripped off their outer clothing, undid the body and unstuffed,  Made a better base and weighted it with lead sinkers!  Restuffed and redressed!

I kept the glasses, gave her different hair - white streaked down the back.

 added leather and lace, a top hat.  

And a wire brace up her back  - to support her neck!  Now she's very stable and very funky!

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Humpty Dumpty, character of the times!

How do you make a doll with just a head, arms and legs? You make Suzette Glastonbury Rugulo's Humpty Dumpty!  

Of course you can make it your own way, as I did, but the pattern is great! I have had it for years and promised myself I would make it one day, and just recently I found a picture that really appealed to me, so I used it as my inspiration for doing this face! 

The eyes and mouth fascinated me, so I had to try it! 
Do you ever do that?

Such a fun pattern and Suzette is one of my favourite designers, who still challenges me!

I did want to give him a swing, but that was too problematical! Love it!

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Storyboard Success at the A&P Show!

Our Cloth Doll Group OCDC had a great day at the local A&P Show this year!  

 I entered these dolls in just for fun,

  and they won First Prizes in each section!

 but more than that, I had an opportunity to promote the Cloth Doll!
 Three of us dollmakers had a stall, displaying our dolls, 
 and I made this board to display the process of making a doll, as well as showing what expressions can be made in cloth, with needle-sculpting! Many people stopped by and talked to us and hopefully this week, we will have more people come to our OCDC group to learn the art of Cloth Doll Making! Lovely sunny day and our stall was right beside the music!  Yes!

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Marie Antoinette Bust for Christchurch Workshop

I have just finished another Marie Antoinette Bust for my workshop in Christchurch at the end of April! I will make one more with white hair soon. This will be an online workshop soon too!
 Playing with the camera settings!
 Looking rather swish!
I have made all the plinths for the class too!  Offering a full Kit set for this one!

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Three Kind Mice!

Just finished making the pattern for these cute little mice made after the style of GusGus, from Cinderella, and they are quite comical.

The pattern pieces are interchangeable, so different looking mice can be made.
 Tall, small & chubby versions!

 They make a nice little lineup on a shelf!
 Come with t'shirt, hat and shoe patterns.  Easy pattern beginner - advanced!
 Their arms are posable - they'd make a great little project or gift!
and they cheat at blind mice bluff games!

All sorts of mice can be made from this pattern!

Add eyelashes.  Add a skirt.  A bonnet.   A Top Hat. Make it steampunk!

Make a coachman with a tricorn hat, tailcoat, & vest and a cue with a bow!
Make the legs, or neck longer. - Give the paws fingers.  Make them nasty!
Shrink the pattern and make baby mice!  A family of mice!
Old or young. Whiskers/moustache! Plaits, or flowing hair!
Three Mousketeers! Three blind mice. 
Domesticated/wild.  Town/country!
So many different way to make a mouse!

Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Patroness of TOTE 2016

I have finally finished dressing my latest Patroness of TOTE for this year!

Her gown is made from a bolt of furnishing fabric - not the whole bolt - which is rubber abcked, and therefore, quite stiff.  Such as you would cover inexpensive chairs - made from synthetics.  It came up quickly using the overlocker, which I used for all her edges, so the only hem is the actual finished length!  It doesn't matter on something like this, as it's the overall theatrical effect!  

She had her first photo taken by visiting Australians yesterday! She dwarfs people, as she is on a platform with wheels.

I have made a pattern of this one, which includes how to make the head and my whole process of making the dummy, excluding the dress, which is just draped pleated, tucked, edged, and embellished however you like!  Her hat is a dress-up one that I have made a cover for, that just sits on top  and is embellished with stitching and whatever.

  The contrasting fabric is two very cheap novelty woven synthetic scarves - found, and the roses also a furnishing fabric, just twisted into roses - learned from Utube!  I wanted to create a balance with the contrasts, to bring the colour down, so the skirt looked the right length, because as you can see from the last picture, she looked a bit stiff and without her hands placed in front, the skirt looked too short.
The pattern is available in my Etsy Shop, or you can email me and I can send you a paypal request.  I hope you like what I have done.  I am pleaased with the result, because I had the opportunity to see what I could do - because you never know if you can, until you try it!